In 1866, Nicholas Scherer planted the town of Schererville on 40 acres of land, purchased from swamp magnate Aaron N. The population consisted of about 25 families, most of them German Catholic. Other railroads crossed the new city, including Central New York and Central Michigan.
Scherervilleis served by the Lake Central School Corporation, which also serves the adjacent cities of St.
Schererville, Indiana, in Lake County, 7 miles SE of Hammond, Indiana, and 28 miles south of Chicago, Illinois. The city is included in the Gary metropolitan area. Long before Indiana became a state, long before Schererville was founded, people called this place the Crossroads. The name was appropriate, since several Indian trails crossed here, which later became routes for colonists' wagons traveling west.
Spritely Rose Marie Schafer is unreservedly proud of the 150th anniversary of the founding of Schererville. When he arrived at this place on the southern tip of Lake Michigan in 1865, he founded the community that bears his name. Long before Indiana became a state, long before Schererville was founded, people called the area the Crossroads, as several Native American trails crossed here, which later became routes for colonists' wagons traveling west.